Meet Tumamoc's Pioneers & Heroes

Frederick Coville

Volney Spalding

Daniel MacDougal

William Cannon

Burton Livingston

Godfrey Sykes

Francis Lloyd

Burt Bovee

Forrest Shreve

Effie Spalding

Ray Turner

Paul Martin

The Cannon-(Lloyd)-Douglass Residence         

Photograph courtesy of the family of Francis Ernest Lloyd.

William A. Cannon, first resident director of The Desert Botanical Laboratory, built this house in 1903. In 1906, he leased it to the family of Francis E. Lloyd, another Laboratory pioneer.

The house appears here in a 1907 photograph. Mary Lloyd stands in her garden on the right.

Cannon sold the house to astronomer Andrew E. Douglass in 1912. Douglass was also a scientific pioneer; he invented dendrochronology, the science of using tree rings to examine past climates.

The Cannon-Douglass House remains today at its original location, 1189 E. Speedway Blvd., Tucson, Arizona on the campus of The University of Arizona. It is listed in the National Register of Historic Places. The University lovingly restored it in the summer of 2012.